Spring 2014 is finally here but you won’t want to plant these seeds. 10 lucky Appetite For Health fans will win Carrington Farms Super Seed Sampler to eat for boosted health!
Did you know? Seeds aren’t just for gardeners! Ok, maybe you already knew that since sunflower seeds, sesame seeds and poppy seeds have been garnishing our foods for quite some time. There are more seeds on the market now! Flax seeds, chia seeds and hemp seeds have been growing in popularity because of their truly amazing health benefits. The way I like to think about seeds is if it can grow into a full-blown plant, that little guy has got to be packed with all sorts of nutrients. It turns out I’m right!
Flax seeds have great health benefits such as digestive health (hello fiber!), improved brain function (because of the omega 3′s), lower blood pressure and even disease prevention. Chia seeds are claimed to be helpful in weight management but I just like them because they’re high in calcium and iron, two nutrients that are essential in childbearing-aged ladies. Vegetarians, pay attention–Hemp seeds have a lot of protein containing about 10 grams of protein per serving! These seeds are truly awesome for our health and if you haven’t started incorporating them into your diet already, you should.
When it comes to flax, chia and hemp seeds, many people just don’t know how to use them or what to put them in. Carrington Farms has a great recipe section that shows you how versatile seeds can be. For me, I like to sprinkle seeds into my oatmeal, which gives it a fun change of texture. I also grind up flaxseeds, because our bodies have a hard time digesting the outer layer, then sprinkle some on a slice of toast with peanut butter. You’ll may get a chance to try these seeds when you enter to win! Each Super Seed Sampler contains one bag of each of the following items:
- Carrington Farms Roasted Flax Seeds (10oz)
- Carrington Farms Flax-Hemp Blend (10oz)
- Carrington Farms Flax-Chia Blend (12oz)
Check out this recipe from Carrington Farms that would make a delicious breakfast that you can make in large batches, freeze, and grab when you’re in a rush to work (toast or microwave it when you get to work):
- 3 Tbs Carrington Farms Flax Chia Blend
- ½ Cup Butter
- 2 Eggs
- 1 ½ Tsp Vanilla
- ¼ Tsp Baking Soda
- ¼ Cup Sugar
- ¼ Tsp Cinnamon
- ¾ Cup Sugar
- ¾ Cup Sour Cream
- 2 Cups Unbleached All-Purpose Flour
- Cream butter and sugar.
- Add eggs, sour cream and vanilla. In separate bowl combine flour, Flax Chia Blend, salt and baking soda and add to creamed mixture. Fill greased muffin tins. Sprinkle with sugar and cinnamon. Bake 20 minutes in preheated 375° oven.
Be one of 10 lucky AFH fans to win the Super Seed Sampler! Here’s what you need to do:
- Sign up for our free e-newsletter (no spam ever!)
- “Like” Appetite For Health and also “Like” Carrington Farms on Facebook
- Tell us below why you think these seeds will help you blossom
Entries will be accepted until midnight EST, Monday, March 24th, 2014. Remember to check back here to see if you won!
All AFH terms and conditions apply.