6 Fool-Proof Ways to Shed Winter Weight
Need to shed weight? The weather’s getting warmer, the days a little longer…. Soon it will be – Swim Suit Season!!
Does the thought of this strike terror into your bikini/Speedo-wearing heart? Under all those winter sweaters and coats, are you hiding a few extra pounds? Fear not, my faithful AppforHealth.com readers! We will help you shed that unwanted winter weight in time for summer. Here are 5 strategies to help you start shaping up and slimming down:
1) Ready, Set, Goals. The first step to weight loss success is set realistic and measurable goals. Research has shown that tracking your food intake, exercise routine, and weight loss progress can help you stay on track for your weight loss plan. Most experts agree that gradual weight loss — about 1-2 pounds per week — is best. Write down your goals, as well as how you plan to achieve them. Your goals should be measurable (e.g. Cook 2 vegetable-based meals this week, exercise for at least 45 minutes 4 times per week, etc.). Research also shows that visualizing yourself implementing and meeting your goals is also a key to success. (See our “Can You Think Yourself Thin?” post.)
2) Dedicate Yourself — to Exercise. One of the best things about the spring season is that it’s a little easier to get motivated to be physically active. Take advantage of the longer days to get up earlier or make time after work to MOVE YOUR BODY. I say it all the time, but I’ll say it again: do something you enjoy. Working out doesn’t have to feel like work. Be creative. Mix it up. Take up a new sport. Swim, hike, run. Walk your dog. Walk yourself. Dance. Aim for 60 minutes of activity, most days. If you haven’t been active at all for many months (or years), please check with your doctor before begining a new fitness routine.
3) Don’t Drink Your Calories. This one may sound like a no-brainer, but it’s an easy way to eliminate extra calories. A soda here and grande latte there can add up to hundreds of calories each day. Switch to water or zero-calorie drinks like unsweetened tea or diet colas. If you love juice and don’t want to give it up, have a juice spritzer made with 1/4 cup juice and 3/4 cup seltzer water.
4) Thrive — Don’t Deprive. For most people, a weight loss plan that is too strict is bound to backfire. Losing weight doesn’t mean you have to give up all of your favorite foods or treats. But you do need to have a good plan in place to eat mostly healthy meals and deal with temptations. If there are specific high-calorie foods (like ice cream) that you absolutely can not give up, resolve to manage portion sizes so that your ‘indulgent’ food is under 200 calories per day. Or you can swap out a high-calorie treat for a lower-calorie satisfying alternative. For example, I love cakes and brownies, but I can’t have a 500 calorie brownie every night for desert. Instead, I make (or buy) a tasty low cal version that has just 120 calories. These kinds of swaps and portion downsizes require you to be a savvy consumer. Get smart! Read labels, plan your meals and snacks, and get a few great recipes that will keep you full and satisfied. If you have questions, ask us here at AppforHealth.com. Just think, by the summer time you’ll be smarter and sexier! Can’t beat that.
5) Get By with a Little Help from Your Friends. Or a family member… or gym pal… or support group… or online community (like here at AppforHealth.com!) Creating a weight loss plan and sticking to it requires strength, knowledge, fortitude… and often… a little help from others. Finding the right support team for you can make the difference between losing steam and meeting your goals.
6) Try our Monthly Meal Plans!
The healthy meal plans are designed to make losing and maintaining weight simple, delicious and foolproof! Our monthly meal plans provide:
- 1600 calories per day providing optimal distribution of calories and protein, carbohydrates and healthy fats to promote fat losses and maintaining lean tissue to keep your metabolism revving.
- 400 calorie breakfasts, lunches and dinners that you can mix-and-match to suit your taste preferences
- Two daily snacks of up to 200 calories that can be mixed and matched
- 100 calorie treats so you won’t feel deprived
- Wholesome, natural foods that help you feel fuller on fewer calories and improve your health
- Our favorite, quick and easy recipes that we make ourselves
- Easy-to-use format PLUS grocery lists so you’ll know exactly what to buy when you shop
Options to personalize your meal plan for 1,200 to 1,800 to best suit your weight loss and maintenance needs.
It’s free when your order our new book, The Real Skinny: Appetite for Health’s 101 Fat Habits & Slim Solutions!
Are you shedding winter weight? Share your story with us… we’d love to hear it.