Reams of research show studies confirm the importance of eating breakfast to lose and maintain a healthy weight. But newer studies suggest a high-protein, carbohydrate-poor breakfast with about 20-30 grams protein (or 25% of total calories) may better stave off hunger and carb cravings throughout the day compared to cereal, toast, pancakes or other carby choices.
Several studies of egg-eaters versus those who eat cereal or other carb-rich breakfasts, find that the egg breakfasts are more waistline friendly. Researchers believe that the quality of egg protein and the leucine content of eggs is what makes them more filling.
To help start your day right, we have some of our super fast best breakfasts for weight loss that take less than a minute or two to make. These breakfasts contain no more than 400 calories, provide 20-30 grams protein and fiber to aid weight loss. If you’re on the road, we’ve also included some of the best bets from fast food outlets.
1. 1 cup cooked oatmeal with 1 cup nonfat plain Greek yogurt
2. Nonfat or lowfat Greek yogurt topped with fresh or frozen fruit (unsweetened) and 1/4 cup low-fat granola
3. Hi-pro whole grain cereal with skim or 1% milk and fresh fruit
4. 1 cup 1% cottage cheese with fresh or frozen fruit and sprinkled with cinnamon and chopped nuts
5. 2 slices Hi-pro whole grain toast with nut butter and 1 hard-boiled egg
6. 2 eggs + 1 egg white scrambled with veggies with 1 toasted Light whole wheat English muffin and piece of fruit (If you want to keep cholesterol levesl in check, use 1/4 cup egg white substitutes in place of each whole egg or 2 egg whites for each whole egg)
7. My favorite protein pancakes, made with eggs, nut butter and banana. Here’s the protein pancake recipe.
1. Cosi’s Spinach Florentine breakfast wrap, 334 calories.
2. Starbucks Spinach & Feta Breakfast Wraps, 290 calories
3. Dunkin Donuts Southwest Veggie Breakfast Burrito with small Latte, 410 calories
For more ideas, we have 10 more from RD Patricia Bannan.
–Julie Upton, MS, RD, CSSD