You can really snack yourself slim!
Since between-meal noshes account for 25% of the calories (more than 450 calories) they’re one of the easiest places to slash calories to help with weight loss.
Most of us snack at least twice a day but many snack all day long. Having two timed snacks a day (no more or less) is the first place to also start to trim your calorie budget. We recommend a mid-am and afternoon snack, but skip the post-dinner nightly ritual—it’s not necessary.
Making simple snack substitutions can help you drop pounds without feeling deprived.
Here’s how to snack yourself slim.
One of the easiest ways to lose weight is to make snack swaps. To reduce calories from your snacks by 100 calories, choose one of the 100 calorie snacks below. Most women can “afford” two snacks per day. Since the average snack is well over 200 calories, eating a 100-calorie snack for your two snacks a day will shave 200 calories or more from your diet daily. If you cut 250 calories a day from your snacks, you’d lose about a pound every two weeks.
Use the guide below for snack choices that provide good nutrition and are calorie-controlled.
25 100-Calorie Snacks
- 1/4 cup 1% cottage cheese and 1 cup sliced strawberries
- 2 small nectarines
- 1 1/2 cups sliced peaches
- 1 cup nonfat cottage cheese with cherry tomatoes
- 1 hard boiled egg with half-slice whole grain toast
- 30 in-shell pistachios
- 10 almonds or cashews
- 1 large stalk celery stuffed with 1 tablespoon peanut butter
- 1 slice whole wheat bread with 1 ounce turkey breast
- 1 ounce mozzarella string cheese and 4 green olives
- 6-8 ounces nonfat Greek yogurt
- 1/2 ounce baked tortilla chips with 2 tablespoons salsa
- 1 fat-free chocolate pudding cup
- 1/2 cup steamed edamame
- 1 hard-boiled egg with ½ slice toasted wheat bread
- 1 cup chicken noodle soup with 2 saltine crackers
- 1 small (4”) whole wheat pita with 1 Tbsp hummus
- 1 slice whole wheat bread with 1 oz sliced turkey breast and mustard
- ½ cup 1% lowfat cottage cheese with 1 cup cherry tomatoes
- 3 cups air-popped popcorn
- 1 cup berries mixed with 2 Tbsp plain, nonfat yogurt
- 1 banana or 2 kiwifruit or 2 cups watermelon chunks
- 1 apple, sliced with 1 tsp peanut butter